SecureCRT will allow you to access SIS from a computer running the Windows Vista or 7 operating system in the most secure method available. Follow the instructions below to download and set up the latest version of SecureCRT on your computer.
NOTE: If you are logging in from a laptop computer or from off-campus, you must download the Cisco AnyConnect VPN client. The VPN, or Virtual Private Network, software will allow you to log into SIS from a remote location. You will need to log into VPN before connecting to SIS.
Downloading SecureCRT from the ITS Website
- Go to the ITS software website at http://software.usc.edu
- Log in using your USCNet login name and password.Note: If you have problems logging in to the ITS software website, call the ITS Customer Support Center at 213-740-5555 for assistance. Student workers and temporary workers will not be able to see or download SecureCRT from the ITS website; staff or faculty will have to download it for them. If you are a new SIS user or are a departmental IT support person that does not see SecureCRT when you log into the website, contact User Coordination at 213-740-5337 for assistance.
- Select your operating system from the list.
- From the Internet Tools category, select SecureCRT 6.5.3 x86 if you are running a 32-bit version of Windows. If you are running a 64-bit version of the Windows operating system, select SecureCRT 6.5.3 x64.
- Enter the number of computers on which you are going to install the software, read and check the box, and then click Accept.
- On the next screen, select Run. The software will be installed on your computer.
- When the InstallShield Wizard comes up, click Next to continue the installation and set-up process. Check both the Create Program Group and Add desktop shortcut boxes, then click Next.
- Click Install. When the installation is complete, click Finish.
Logging In to SIS
- Double-click the SecureCRT icon on your desktop to open the software
- Click the plus sign beside SIS/AIS.
- Click Universe, then click Connect.
- When prompted for your username, remember that your username for SIS is a lowercase “s” followed by your 7-digit Payroll Employee ID Number.
- When prompted for your password, type in the password you created during your Basic Training course.
- When prompted for your Terminal Name, type PCTELNET.
NOTE: Do not check the Save Username or Save Password boxes. For security purposes, you should input your username and password each time you log in.
The SIS Password
Your SIS password will expire every five weeks and must be changed automatically at that time. Passwords must be at least eight characters long and have a minimum of one non-alphabetical character in the first eight characters. Do not use common words or names, and use a combination of upper- and lowercase characters to maximize the security of your password. You can find more information on safe password creation on the Office of the CIO website.
Double-Checking Your Settings
When you install SecureCRT, the settings should be correctly pre-set for you. Once in a while, however, you may need to double-check or make changes to them. The following guide will assist you in doing so:
To access to your settings, open the SecureCRT software.
- Click File then Connect. A Connect box with a session list in it should appear.
- Right-click SIS or sis.usc.edu or universe.
- Left-click Properties.
- Under Connection, the name should be SIS and protocol should be SSH2.
- Under SSH2:
- The hostname field should be sis.usc.edu.
- The port field should be 22.
- The Firewall field should be set to none.
- The Username field should be blank.
- Under Emulation:
- The terminal option should be VT220.
- The Select an alternate keyboard emulation option should be checked.
- The box beneath that should say “custom.”
- Click the button to the far right, which has three small dots (ellipses) on it. AISNT.key should be listed in the file name box (it can be found within SecureCRT, in the keymaps section).
- From the Under resize menu, select scale the font.
- Under Modes, in the Initial Modes section:
- Cursor key mode and line wrap should be checked. New line mode should not be checked.
- Numeric keypad should be checked, but application keypad should not be checked.
- Optional: Under appearance, you will be able to change the look of your screen — the color and the font.
If you have questions or concerns regarding SecureCRT, please call User Coordination at 213-740-5337 or send an email to SISHelpU@usc.edu.