Some USC online services require access through on-campus USC Secure Wireless or a wired network connection. USC offers Virtual Private Networking (VPN) to provide secure remote access to these services when you are off-campus. Use AnyConnect VPN if you are away from the USC campus and are unable to connect to services. Additionally, you must use AnyConnect VPN to access internal USC systems handling confidential or sensitive data, such as Student Information Systems (SIS), and file servers for specific schools and departments.
Please be aware that you DO NOT need to use AnyConnect VPN when accessing Blackboard, Zoom, Workday, ServiceNow, Microsoft Office 365 or Google Apps at USC.
Examples of Applications that Require AnyConnect VPN
- Pitchbook – Marshall
- Business Intelligence – Kuali
- Remote Desktop Access
- Student Information System (SIS)
- High-Performance Computing (HPC)
How Do I Connect to VPN?
- Faculty/Non-IT Staff and Students: Use the Cisco AnyConnect client by accessing it at vpn.usc.edu. Duo Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) is not required.
- IT Employees/SIS Users: Use the Cisco AnyConnect client via connect.usc.edu. Duo 2FA is required.
NOTE: For detailed installation instructions for Mac and Windows and Frequently Asked Questions, refer to the documents in the right panel.
Existing VPN URLs
The following URLs will still be supported via AnyConnect:
Students, faculty and staff connecting via a native operating system VPN client via the following URLs will need to migrate to Cisco AnyConnect by Friday, March 27.
- vpn-student.usc.edu, vpn-staff.usc.edu, vpn-faculty.usc.edu
Where Do I Go for Help?
If you need help setting up your VPN, please contact the ITS Customer Support Center.
If you have questions regarding confidential data protection, please email email@example.com.