Frequently Asked Questions about ITS Learning Environments

(Photo/J.P. Morgan)

Where are the USC computing centers located?
The following computing centers are open for student use and contain classrooms that can be reserved for hands-on instruction.

  • Frank L. King Olympic Hall of Champions (KOH 206)
    1025 West 34th Street
  • Henry Salvatori Computer Science Center (SAL 125)
    941 Bloom Walk
  • Waite Phillips Hall of Education (WPH B34)
    3470 Trousdale Parkway
  • Ahmanson Information Commons at Leavey Library
    651 West 35th Street

For a map of these locations, see the USC University Park campus map. For additional information about the USC computing centers, including hours of operation, see the USC Computing Centers page.
Return to questions

What printing resources are available in the computing centers?
Black-and-white and color printers are available in all four computing centers.

We also offer large-format printing in the KOH computing center. You may print on Universal gloss photo paper or heavyweight coated paper. Print sizes range from 10×12 to 48×48 inches.
The cost for large format printing is $1 per inch of paper length (For example, a 10×12 inch page costs $12.00; a 12×48 or a 48×48 inch page costs $48.00.)
Return to questions

How do I check out a loaner laptop?
Loaner laptops are available for enrolled and registered students at all four USC computing centers. To check out a loaner laptop, you must present your USC ID and be registered for classes for the current semester. Loaner laptops are equipped with the same software packages available on the desktops in the computing centers. For a listing of this software, see the Software Available in the USC Computing Centers section of the USC Computing Centers webpage.

Laptops may be checked out for 4 hours and may be renewed for an additional 4 hours. The renewal request must be made prior to the end of the original 4-hour loan period.
Return to questions

What technology is available in ITS learning spaces?
All general-assignment classrooms and auditoria are equipped with USC’s unique Multimedia Operations Management System (MOMS), which allows remote management of audiovisual services for real-time support of technology in the classroom. These classrooms contain key audiovisual technology, eliminating the need to reserve equipment.

Features include:

  • Dual-projection systems, screen annotation capability, and AV control from multiple locations in the auditoria
  • Robust wireless network
  • Support in classrooms of mobile computing, making it easier to use laptops
  • Eco-friendly furnishings made from sustainable materials
  • Online video tutorials that demonstrate how to use equipment.

Specialized AV equipment (document cameras, overhead projectors, region-free DVD players, and microphones) may be reserved.

We also offer document cameras upon request. Reservations for document cameras must be submitted to our classroom support office 24 hours prior to the scheduled event. Contact our classroom support office at

To see photographs of our learning spaces and to learn more about their seating capacity, furnishings, audiovisual capabilities, visit our Room Finder page.
Return to questions

What equipment needs to be reserved for use in ITS learning spaces?
Non-standard equipment–including document cameras, overhead projectors, and region-free DVD players–need be reserved for all rooms.

Microphones need to be reserved for the following rooms:

  • Grace Ford Salvatori Hall (GFS): 101, 116, 118
  • Mudd Hall (MHP): B7B, 101, 105, 106
  • Taper Hall (THH): 114,116, 210, 212
  • Von KleinSmid Center (VKC): 100, 150, 152, 156

DVD/VCR players need to be reserved for the following rooms:

  • Kaprielian Hall (KAP): 134, 140, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 150, 156, and 158
  • Von KleinSmid Center (VKC): 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110 and 111

To reserve any non-standard equipment, please call 213-821-6601 or send an email to

Return to questions

Are the learning spaces equipped with VGA or HDMI inputs?
ITS learning spaces support both VGA and HDMI input. The VGA and HDMI outlets are located on the audiovisual wall box located inside the learning space. The audiovisual wall boxes also contain a power outlet, a Blu-Ray player, and a cable bundle that includes VGA, HDMI, Ethernet, and 3.5 mm audio cables to connect your devices.
Return to questions

I have a learning space reserved, but I need a Mac laptop adaptor. Do you loan these?
No, you must provide your own adaptor for Mac laptops. These adaptors are available for purchase at USC Bookstores on the University Park or Health Sciences campuses, as well as many stores that sell electronics. VGA or HDMI adaptors can connect most PC laptops to equipment in ITS learning spaces.
Return to questions

What devices can I connect to audiovisual equipment in ITS learning spaces?
Devices with VGA and HDMI inputs can be connected into our audiovisual wall boxes. Some devices such as Mac laptops and tablets require adaptors. Customers are responsible for bringing VGA or HDMI adaptors to connect their portable devices to the audiovisual wall boxes.

Return to questions

How do I connect with VPN?
Virtual Private Networking (VPN), also called IP tunneling, is a secure method of remotely accessing USC computer resources. VPN is required for remotely accessing certain classroom applications such as SolidWorks and Matlab. You may access VPN directly by going to from any browser on an internet-connected laptop or mobile device.

You may also use the Cisco AnyConnect VPN client to connect to USC’s VPN. To download the Cisco AnyConnect VPN client, and for more information on connecting using VPN, see the
VPN Overview page.
Return to questions

How do I reserve a classroom?
The USC classroom scheduling office manages classroom reservations. Visit the USC Classroom Scheduling Office website to learn more about classroom reservation requests and submit your reservation for a classroom. To reserve a classroom, fill out the Room Reservations web form.
Return to questions

Can I visit the learning space I reserved before my scheduled event?
Yes. To schedule a visit, contact our classroom support office at 213-821-6601 or send an email to

Return to questions

What should I do if I find my scheduled building or classroom locked?
If you arrive for your scheduled class session and the building is locked, please contact the Department of Public Safety (DPS) at 213-740-6000.

If your classroom is locked, please call the ITS Learning Environments support team at 213-821-6601.
Return to questions

Who do I contact if I need classroom support?
If you need technical assistance with any of the audiovisual equipment installed in ITS learning spaces, please call the ITS Learning Environments support services team at 213-821-6601 or send an email to If you are in one of our learning spaces, you can use the help phone mounted in the audiovisual wall box by simply pressing the “Call” button and dialing 1-6601.
Return to questions