Frequently Asked Questions about USCNet

What is USCNet?

USCNet provides users with wired network connectivity in administrative buildings.

How fast is USCNet?

It depends on the building you’re registering your computer in. Most of the buildings on campus support 10 megabits per second (10 Mbps) connections, while the newer and upgraded buildings can support 1 gigabit per second (1 Gbps = 1000 Mbps) connections.

How do I start using USCNet?

Go to the USCNet web page, select the appropriate operating system for your computer and follow the instructions.

How long does registration take?

Registration is an automated process and an IP address should be assigned to you immediately. However, if you request a hostname that is already in existence, or if you add comments to the Special Handling Instructions field, the registration process will usually take 2 to 3 business days.

Okay, I’m registered. What is my IP address?

All the configuration information should be emailed to you within an hour after you complete the IP Request form. Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) should provide all this information for you within an hour of registration.

Can I use a hub if my office doesn’t have enough jacks?

No. If one of our switches notices two Ethernet adapters on the same jack, the jack will be blocked. If this happens, you will need to call the Customer Support Center at 213-740-5555 to have the jack unblocked. While you’re on the phone, you may consider ordering additional lines to your office! (This is also handled through the Information Technology Services.)

Can I use my computer in a building other than the one I registered in?

Each building has one  or more Virtual Local Area Networks (VLANs) associated with it, each of which have specific sets of IP addresses associated with it. While you can move freely within a VLAN, using jacks attributed to this VLAN, other buildings will have different VLANs and you will not likely be able to get a connection.

If you are moving from one building to another permanently, you should update your registration to get an IP address belonging to the appropriate set, via the IP Address Update form.
If you intend to use your machine in multiple buildings, you probably will not be able to use USCNet. Instead, you should register your machine to be a dynamically addressed host, via ResNet.

If I replace the Ethernet card in my computer, do I need to re-register?

You will need to update your new MAC address by going to the Dynamic Host Registration page.