You can access your USC Gmail account through many popular email clients such as Outlook and Apple Mail. This page will provide links to documentation and settings that will help you get your Google Apps at USC account up and running on these email programs.
Accessing Google Apps on an Email Client using IMAP
If you wish to use an email client such as Outlook or Apple Mail to access your Gmail account, ITS highly suggests you configure your account using the Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) settings found on the Google Apps support page titled Read Gmail messages on other email clients using IMAP.
This site explains how to enable IMAP in your Gmail settings and provides configuration instructions for Outlook/Windows Mail, Apple Mail, Thunderbird, as well as several other email programs for desktop and mobile devices.
When you are configuring your email client, you will need to provide some general setting information for your USC account. This information is available in the Google Apps at USC General Mail Settings section below.
Google Apps at USC General Mail Settings
You may use the settings below to manually configure any email application to connect to your Google Apps at USC account.
- Account Name: Enter USC Email
- Mail Protocol: Select IMAP
- Username: Enter your full email address (for example: email@example.com)
- Password: Enter your USC NetID password. Your USC NetID password is the one you use to connect to services such as my.usc.edu and Blackboard
- Email Address: Enter your full USC email address (for example, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Incoming Mail Server: Enter imap.gmail.com
- Incoming Mail Port: Enter 993 and select use SSL
- Outgoing Mail Server: Enter smtp.gmail.com
- Outgoing Mail Port: Enter 587 and select use TLS
If you need additional assistance while configuring an email client to connect to your Google Apps at USC account, please contact the ITS Customer Support Center.