Cognos is a web-based suite of tools from IBM that offers a full range of business intelligence capabilities including reports, dashboards, and self-service queries. Standard Cognos reports are available for various functional areas such as research (TARA), financial accounting, payroll accounting, budget construction, and procurement and payments. These on-demand standard reports have built-in filters and groupings that allow you to easily run them by entering specific report parameters on the prompt page.
- Managed reports designed for enterprise-wide consumption, such as the Account Summary Report (ASR) and Labor Distribution Reports
- Self-service reports (available for financial accounting), which are created on-demand by users to serve their individual needs
- Ability to schedule automated delivery of reports
- A modern user interface (UI) that is searchable by partial or full codes and/or names
- Ability to export reports in multiple formats such as PDF, Excel, or comma separated values (CSV)
- Personalized profile for every Cognos customer to save and organize reports and queries
- For select reports, parameters can be changed on-demand within the report interface
- Ability to create custom reports using a drag-and-drop interface for decision support (self-service reporting only)
- Account data security including, account level security (ALS), Organization Level Security (OLS) and payroll region level security (RLS) as well as flexible data, report and folder-level security
USC faculty and staff are eligible to use Cognos, subject to approval. For more information, see the Access Request User Guide [PDF].
To access Cognos, log in at www.usc.edu/bi using your USC NetID username and password. You may also access Cognos from the Kuali portal by clicking the Business Intelligence button located in the upper right-hand corner of the portal.
USC supports accessing Cognos using the following browsers:
- Internet Explorer
USC supports exporting Cognos data in the following formats:
- PDF (9, X)
- Excel (2002-2010)
- Comma Separated Values (CSV)
- Extensible Markup Language (XML)
If you would like to make a service-related request, search the knowledge base for self-service support, or report an issue with Cognos, log into the ITS service portal at www.usc.edu/itsserviceportal.
There is no fee to access Cognos.
Cognos is typically available daily from 7:00 am to 11:00 pm. If Cognos is unavailable during these hours, please consult the following resources for additional information: