Microsoft Office 365 is a modern collaboration platform that provides a full-featured email system with web access, integrated calendaring, a campus contacts directory, support for mobile device access, and 50 gigabytes of email storage and 5 terabytes of document storage per account.
- Convenient web and desktop access to your email and integrated calendar. Full-featured web interface for accessing email and calendar (Outlook Web App), as well as email and integrated calendar compatibility with desktop email clients such as Microsoft Outlook and Apple Mail.
- Large message storage capacity. 50 gigabytes of email storage for each user.
- Access from portable devices, including iOS and Android-based phones and tablets. Access to your email, calendar entries, and contacts from your mobile device.
- Built-in anti-spam message filtering. Integrated anti-spam tools for smoother control of email filtering and identification.
- OneDrive for Business, an online document storage and sharing tool that faculty and staff can access through the Outlook Web App (OWA). 5 terabytes of document storage for each user.
NOTE: Visit itservices.usc.edu/officefacstaff for information on how to download free Microsoft Office software.
All USC faculty and staff.
NOTE: USC students have access to some of the Office 365 suite, including OneDrive for Business, Skype for Business, and SharePoint. More information on Office 365 for students can be found at itservices.usc.edu/office365/students.
For information on the web browser requirements for accessing Office 365, see the Microsoft Office 365 System Requirements page.
Accessing the Outlook Web App for Office 365
Each time you go to www.usc.edu/office365, the Authentication Required screen will appear.
- In the User Name field, type your USC NetID@usc.edu (e.g., email@example.com).
- In the Password field, type your USC NetID password.
- Click OK to open the Outlook Web App.
Signing Out of OWA
When you are finished using the Outlook Web App, you should exit your web browser by closing all open tabs to ensure you have properly signed out of your Office 365 account.
Office 365 Documentation
The documentation in this section will provide information on how to access your email and calendar through the Outlook Web App, configure an email client to access mail through Office 365, set up your mobile device to access your Office 365 email, configure settings such as forwarding and automatic replies (vacation messages) using OWA, store and collaborate on documents using OneDrive for Business and connect with USC and non-USC colleagues using Skype for Business.
There are video tutorials available from Lynda.com, Apple.com, and Microsoft.com on a variety of Office 365 topics. You will find links to these video tutorials on pages throughout the Office 365 documentation and from the Office 365 Video Tutorials page.
OneDrive for Business is approved for storing some restricted data, including Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)- and Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)-related information. Please note that additional controls may be required, depending on the type of data and relevant regulations. (Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information.)
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your Microsoft Office 365 account, please contact the ITS Customer Support Center.
Microsoft Office 365 is a free service.