Microsoft Office 365
Microsoft Office 365 is a modern collaboration platform that provides a full-featured email system with web access, integrated calendaring, a campus contacts directory, support for mobile device access, and 50 gigabytes of storage per account.
This cloud-based system will provide USC employees with the tools they need to communicate and collaborate now and in the future. Upcoming enhancements will include the Microsoft Lync web and video conferencing platform, which will allow for high-definition video conferencing, screen sharing, and instant messaging; and OneDrive for Business, an online document storage and sharing tool. We anticipate that the rollout of Office 365 will be completed in 2014.
To see if your department has been moved or is scheduled to move to Office 365, see the Scheduled Moves to Office 365 page.
Features of Office 365
- Convenient web and desktop access to your email and integrated calendar. Full-featured web interface for accessing email and calendar (Outlook Web App), as well as email and integrated calendar compatibility with desktop email clients such as Microsoft Outlook and Apple Mail.
- Large message storage capacity. 50 gigabytes of storage for each user.
- Access from portable devices, including iOS and Android-based phones and tablets. Access to your email, calendar entries, and contacts from your mobile device.
- No automatic deletion of emails. Office 365 accounts are not subject to the 365-day email retention policy.
- Built-in anti-spam message filtering. Integrated anti-spam tools for smoother control of email filtering and identification.
- OneDrive for Business, an online document storage and sharing tool that faculty and staff can access through the Outlook Web App (OWA).
Office 365 Documentation
The documentation in this section will provide information on what to expect when your email account is moved to Office 365, including how to access your email and calendar through the Outlook Web App, configure an email client to access mail through Office 365, set up your mobile device to access your Office 365 email, and configure settings such as forwarding and automatic replies (vacation messages) using OWA.
Lynda.com, Apple.com, and Microsoft.com provide video tutorials on how to use Outlook and Apple Mail. You will find links to these tutorials in the Configuring Office 365 and Using the Office 365 Calendar sections of the documentation and the Office 365 Video Tutorials link on the right-hand side of this page.
Accessing the Outlook Web App for Office 365
Each time you go to www.usc.edu/office365, the Authentication Required screen will appear.
1. In the User Name field, type your USC email address (e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org).
2. In the Password field, type your USC password.
3. Click OK to open the Outlook Web App.
Signing Out of OWA
When you are finished using the Outlook Web App, you should exit your web browser by closing all open tabs to ensure you have properly signed out of your Office 365 account.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your Microsoft Office 365 account, please contact the ITS Customer Support Center at 213-740-5555 or send an email to email@example.com.