Skype for Business is a web conferencing platform that enables high-definition web conferencing, screen sharing, and instant messaging. This page provides links to documentation, video tutorials on how to use the software’s many functions, and information on how to download the desktop version of the Skype for Business software.
NOTE: ITS provides basic support for Skype for Business. The information on this webpage is provided as a courtesy to the USC community. If you require additional assistance, please contact IT support for your school or department.
- High-definition web conferencing
- Instant messaging
- Screen sharing
- Cross-platform support with web, desktop, and mobile clients
All USC faculty and staff with ITS-provided Office 365 accounts.
Downloading Skype for Business
You can download the latest version of the Skype for Business client for the Windows or Mac operating systems through the Outlook Web App (www.usc.edu/office365). To download the client from Outlook Web App:
- Log in at www.usc.edu/office365.
- Click the gear in the upper right-hand corner of the browser window.
- From the pull-down menu that appears, select Office 365 settings.
- On the Office 365 settings screens, select software.
- From the Software menu, choose Skype for Business.
- Follow the instructions on this screen to download and install the latest version of the Skype for Business client available for your operating system.
Click the links below while on your mobile device to access the app store and download the Skype for Business client.
Accessing Skype for Business (IM Only)
Logging into your Office 365 account through the Outlook Web App (www.usc.edu/office365) automatically signs you into Skype for Business as well. You can access your contacts and send instant messages to them by clicking the Skype icon in the OWA menu bar:
You can set your status or sign out from the menu shown in the screen shot below. This menu is accessed by clicking your profile picture in the upper right-hand corner of the OWA window.
For additional information on using the features of Skype for Business, see the Skype for Business section of the Frequently Asked Questions about Office 365 page.
Video Tutorials and Documentation
Microsoft.com and lynda.com video tutorials on using Skype for Business can be found on the Office 365 Video Tutorials page.
For assistance with Skype for Business, please contact the ITS Customer Support Center.
Skype for Business is a free service that is included as part of your ITS-provided Office 365 account.