This page will provide instructions for USC faculty, staff, and students on how to install and activate the MATLAB client on the Windows 7, 8.1, and 10 operating systems. As of the r2016a and later versions, MATLAB is only available for 64-bit operating systems.
NOTE: The MATLAB program is very large and should only be downloaded using a high-speed Internet connection.
- Download MATLAB for Windows from software.usc.edu/matlab. You should also download the USC activation key PDF included on the download page. You will need to use this key during the activation process.
- Locate the downloaded file on your desktop and double-click it to unzip and expand the folder.
- Open the expanded folder and double-click the installer file to begin installation.
- On the Select Installation Method screen, choose Log in with a MathWorks Account and click Next. On the License Agreement screen, read the agreement and choose Yes.
- Click Next.
- On the Log in screen, if you already have a Mathworks account, choose Login to your Mathworks Account and enter your USC email address and your MathWorks password. Click Next.
- Choose I need to create an Account (Requires an Activation Key) and then click Next.
- On the Account Creation screen, enter the following information:
- In the E-mail address field, enter your USC email address.
- In the Retype E-mail address field, re-enter your USC email address.
- In the Password field, choose a password for your MathWorks account.
- In the Retype Password field, re-enter the password you just choose.
- In the First Name field, enter your first name.
- In the Last Name field, enter your last name.
- In the Activation key field, enter the activation key that was supplied at the download link.
- Click Next.
- On the License Selection screen, choose Enter an Activation Key for a license not listed and then enter the license key number from license key PDF you downloaded at software.usc.edu/matlab.
- Click Next.
- The Confirmation screen will appear with your chosen installation settings. Review these settings and click Install to install MATLAB.
NOTE: If you do not have a Mathworks account:
NOTE: Installation may take 20 minutes or longer to complete, depending on your computer. Please do not close the installer during this process.
Once installation has finished, you will see the Installation Complete screen. Make sure that Activate MATLAB is checked and click Next to begin activating MATLAB.
NOTE: You will need to reactivate your MATLAB software license every year on December 30. Please see Reactivating Your MATLAB License your instructions on how to reactivate your software license.
- On the Authentication Options screen, select Authorize this computer now. Click Next.
- On the User Name screen, enter the local user name that you use to log into your computer. Matlab will be registered to the user name that you specify.
- On the Activation Complete screen, click Finish to complete the activation process.
For problems or questions related to the installation or activation of MATLAB, please contact the ITS Customer Support Center.
For problems or questions regarding using MATLAB, please see the Help Menu in MATLAB or contact your instructor or teaching assistant.