This page will provide instructions for USC faculty, staff, and students on how to install and activate the MATLAB client on the Mac OS X operating system.
NOTE: The MATLAB program is very large and should only be downloaded using a high-speed Internet connection.
- Download MATLAB for Mac from software.usc.edu/matlab. You should also download the USC activation key PDF included on the download page. You will need to use this key during the activation process.
- Double-click the downloaded file to extract the files and open the Matlab folder.
- Double-click the InstallForMacOSX file to begin installation.
- You may see a dialog box that says “InstallForMacOSX” is an application downloaded from the Internet. Are you sure you want to open it?. Click Open to continue with the installation.
- If prompted for your Mac’s administrator password, enter it.
NOTE: If you do not have a Mathworks account:
- Choose I need to create an Account (Requires an Activation Key) and then click Next.
- On the Account Creation screen, enter the following information:
- In the E-mail address field, enter your USC email address.
- In the Retype E-mail address field, re-enter your USC email address.
- In the Password field, choose a password for your MathWorks account.
- In the Retype Password field, re-enter the password you just choose.
- In the First Name field, enter your first name.
- In the Last Name field, enter your last name.
- In the Activation key field, enter the activation key that was supplied at the download link.
- Click Next.
NOTE: Installation may take 20 minutes or longer to complete, depending on your computer. Please do not close the installer during this process.
Once installation has finished, you will see the Installation Complete screen. Make sure that Activate MATLAB is checked and click Next to begin activating MATLAB.
NOTE: You will need to reactivate your MATLAB software license every year on December 30. Please see Reactivating Your MATLAB License your instructions on how to reactivate your software license.
- On the Authentication Options screen, select Authorize this computer now. Click Next.
- On the User Name screen, enter the local user name that you use to log into your computer. Matlab will be registered to the user name that you specify.
- On the Activation Complete screen, click Finish to complete the activation process.
For problems or questions related to the installation or activation of MATLAB, please contact the ITS Customer Support Center.
For problems or questions regarding using MATLAB, please see the Help Menu in MATLAB or contact your instructor or teaching assistant.