When you opt into Gmail, the mail you have previously received and the calendar entries and contacts you have previously entered in your Microsoft Office 365 (O365) account will not be automatically transferred to your USC Gmail account. This document provides instructions on how to automatically transfer your O365 data to Gmail using the Gmail migration tool and how to manually transfer your O365 email using Outlook 2016 for Mac.
NOTE: When you opt into Gmail, you will still be able to access all of your previous Office 365 emails, contacts, and calendar data by logging into the Outlook Web App (OWA).
Moving Email, Contacts, and Calendar Data Using Outlook 2016 for Windows and the G Suite Migration Tool
Please note you will have to log into your USC Gmail account prior to transferring your email.
- If you haven’t already done so, set up your Office 365 account in Outlook 2016 by following the instructions on the Configuring Outlook 2016 for Office 365 (Windows) page.
- Go to the G Suite Migration for Microsoft Outlook page.
- Click Download Migration Tool, then open the installation file.
- Under Email address, enter your USC email address, then click Continue.
- A browser window will launch an take you to the USC sign-in page. Enter your USC NetID username and password. NOTE: Duo two-factor authentication is also required to access your USC Gmail account and to complete the migration process.
- Select your USC account from the available list. Make sure you do not select your personal Gmail account
- Under Allow G Suite Migration for Microsoft Outlook to do this?, click ALLOW.
- From the dropdown menu, select the Microsoft Outlook user profile associated with your USC account.
- Select Migrate all data, then click Next.
- Select which data you would like to migrate, then click Migrate.
- Once the migration has completed, your email, contacts, and calendar data will be in your Gmail account. You should be able to access it from any properly configured email program, any properly configured mobile device, as well as through the web at google.usc.edu.
Moving Email and Folders Manually Using Outlook 2016 for Mac
In order to manually move your email using Outlook 2016 for Mac, you will need to configure Outlook to access both your O365 account and your USC Gmail account. For instructions on how to configure Outlook to access O365, see Configuring Outlook for Mac 2016 for Office 365. For information on configuring Outlook to access your USC Gmail account, see Configuring Your Email Program for Google Apps at USC.
- Once you have configured Outlook 2016 for Mac for both accounts, right-click the folder or email in O365 that you wish to move and select Copy Folder.
- Select the desired location in your Gmail account and click OK.
- The folder or email is now in your Gmail account. You should be able to access it from from any properly configured email program, any properly configured mobile device, as well as through the web at google.usc.edu.
NOTE: Moving folders that contain many messages may take awhile. If you have many messages and folders to move and access to a Windows computer, ITS highly recommends using the G Suite Migration Tool described above.
Recreating Inbox Rules in Gmail
If you filter your email in Office 365 (i.e., send messages directly to a separate folder when they arrive in your inbox based on conditions you have defined), you will need to recreate these email filters, or rules, in your Gmail account. For information on creating inbox rules for Gmail, see Google’s page on creating rules to filter your email.
If you need assistance with moving your Office 365 email, contacts, and calendar data to your USC Gmail account, please contact the ITS Customer Support Center.