The Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility client is a web-based VPN client that does not require user configuration. Use Cisco AnyConnect VPN to securely access the Student Information System (SIS) and other IT administration systems VPN, also called IP tunneling, is a secure method of accessing USC computing resources.
Some USC online services require access through on-campus USC Secure Wireless or a wired network connection. USC offers Virtual Private Networking (VPN) to provide secure remote access to these services when you are off-campus. Use AnyConnect VPN if you are away from the USC campus and are unable to connect to services. Additionally, you must use AnyConnect VPN to access internal USC systems handling confidential or sensitive data, such as Student Information Systems (SIS), and file servers for specific schools and departments.
This page provides instructions on how to install and connect to Cisco AnyConnect client for Macintosh OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) and later.
Login and Download VPN Software
- Connect to your local network..
- Go to https://vpn.usc.edu.
- On the login screen, enter your USC NetID and Password.
- Then click Login.
- After you have logged in, click AnyConnect on the left.
- In the middle of the screen, click Start AnyConnect.
- On the Download & Install screen, click Download for MacOS.
Install VPN Software
- Search for the downloaded file on your computer and double-click it.
- An Install AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client pop-up window will open. Click Continue. This will initiate the installation.
- On the Software License Agreement screen, click Continue.
- On the pop-up window, click Agree.
- On the Standard Install on “Macintosh” screen, click Install.
- In the pop-up window, enter your computer’s administrator username and password. This should be the username and password you use to log into your computer.
- Then click Install Software.
- The installation will begin. When prompted, click Continue.
- When the installation is complete, you will see the message “The installation was successful. The software was installed.”
- Click Close.
Connect to VPN
- Search for the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client app on your desktop (Type “Cisco AnyConnect” in your computer’s search bar).
- Open the application.
- In the AnyConnect pop-up window, enter: “vpn.usc.edu”
- Click Connect.
- On the login screen, enter your USC NetID and password.
- Click OK.
- You are now connected to the USC network through VPN.
If you need help installing or connecting to your AnyConnect Secure Mobility client, contact the ITS Customer Support Center.