After August 1, USC students, faculty, and staff who have set up their devices to connect automatically to USC Wireless Plus should reset their devices to connect to USC Secure Wireless. Instructions on how to reset the connection are available through the USC Secure Wireless Documentation menu that appears on the right-hand side of this page. After the first connection to USC Secure Wireless, subsequent connections will be automatic on most mobile devices.
USC provides two wireless networks on its campuses and in its facilities: USC Secure Wireless and USC Guest Wireless.
USC Secure Wireless
- Encrypted network
- Available only to USC faculty, staff, and students
- Up to 18 times faster than USC Guest Wireless
- Most users can connect to the USC Secure Wireless network simply by entering their USC NetID (username) and password when prompted.
USC Guest Wireless
- Open, unencrypted guest network
- Connect to this network by choosing the USC Guest Wireless network on your device
- No USC NetID username or password is needed
All USC faculty, staff, and students can connect to USC Secure Wireless. Visitors to USC can connect to USC Guest Wireless.
- For information on configuring your wireless device to connect to USC Secure Wireless, see the links under “USC Secure Wireless Documentation” in the Wireless Access to the USC Network Documentation menu.
- To connect to USC Guest Wireless, choose the “USC Guest Wireless” network in your device’s wireless settings.
NOTE: In order to ensure that you will be able to access USC Secure Wireless, you may first need to change your USC password at mypassword.usc.edu.
For information on USC’s wireless networks, see the documentation in the menu on the right-hand side of this page.
ITS recommends that all users maintain a firewall, as well as antivirus and antispyware software. Links to free firewall and antivirus software, along with additional information, are available on the ITS Security page.
Additionally, ITS recommends the following steps to protect your data while on any wireless network:
- Visiting only secure Web pages—those whose URLs begin with https://
- Encrypting any confidential or sensitive information
- Logging into UNIX shell accounts using SSH or Kerberized Telnet (rather than basic Telnet).
If you are unfamiliar with these security measures, please contact the ITS Customer Support Center at 213-740-5555.
If you have problems or questions related to your connection to a USC wireless network, contact the ITS Customer Support Center at 213-740-5555 or email@example.com.
This is a free service.