This page provides IT administrators with information about how to set up an ITS Managed Backup Services account, including instructions for installing and testing Symantec NetBackup software and configuring a firewall to ensure successful data backups.
Requesting a Managed Backup Account
To set up a Managed Backup account, please fill out and submit an ITS Backup Service Request form.
Once you have submitted the form, ITS will allocate backup space for your department and provide you with access so that you may download the Symantec NetBackup software.
Installing Symantec NetBackup
Download the Symantec NetBackup Client 6.5.2 for a 32-bit operating system or Symantec NetBackup Client x64 for 64-bit operating system from the Software Download page.
To install the Symantec NetBackup software, follow the steps below.
- If you have downloaded the 32-bit version, open nbsetup-x86.exe and click Next to begin the client installation. If you have downloaded the 64-bit version, open nbsetup-x64.exe and click Next to begin the client installation.
- On the License Agreement screen, choose I accept the terms of the license agreement and click Next.
- On the Veritas Netbackup Client Installation Type screen, choose Install to this computer only and Typical installation. Click Next.
- On the NetBackup System Names screen:
- In the Client Name field enter the fully qualified DNS name of the host (ie. hostname.usc.edu).
- In the Master Server Name field, enter restore.usc.edu.
- In the Additional Servers field, enter nb-ms1.usc.edu.
If a firewall is running on the computer you will be using for the backup process, a number of executable files will need explicit “Allow” permissions. The following executables, located in C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin\, will need to be made exceptions:
- NBWin.exe (Backup, Archive, and Restore)
- drprepwizard.exe (Intelligent Disaster Recovery PrepWizard)
- tracker.exe (NetBackup Client Job Tracker)
- dbbackup.exe (NetBackup MS SQL Client)
Also, verify that your computer’s firewall client allows connections from both nb-ms1.usc.edu and restore.usc.edu on the following ports (TCP & UDP):
Once ITS has set up your account and allocated your server space, you will need to configure a manual backup by following the steps below.
Configuring a Manual Backup:
- From the computer you will be sending the backup data from, go to Start -> Programs -> VERITAS NetBackup -> Backup, Archive and Restore.
- Click Select for Backup.
- Navigate to a test file or folder on your computer and check the box next to it.
- Go under the Actions menu to Backup.
- Verify that the NetBackup server is set to restore.usc.edu and select Start Backup.
- A monitor option will be presented. Click yes to see the progress of your backup.
A Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page and other supporting documentation are available through the navigation panel on your right.
For problems or questions related to the use of this service, please contact the ITS Customer Support Center.
Licensing questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org .